Sunday, August 6, 2017

zapp's new orleans style potato chips: voodoo heat

hey!! ok this review is going to be pretty short and not very good because I spent all day travelling and my brain feels like mushed peas. I didn't forget about y'all, though! I have a bunch of good pilipinx snacks queued up for review that I'm excited to talk about more but for now, here's this.

I was at the airport with my mom and we had some downtime before our flight left so we went to an airport potbelly sandwich shop. this isn't a restaurant review blog (although it could be because like I said I can do whatever I want!!!) so I won't get too far into my potbelly experience (it was fine) but while I was in the line about to check out these chips caught my eye...

Image result for zapp's potato chips voodoo heat
I didn't take this photo
this packaging was too good to pass up and I was so curious about what ~voodoo heat~ meant. also heads up I lost my iphone a while ago and had to get an android and it takes really awful blurry potato photos. the image quality of this blog is going to suffer for a while but I'm optimistic that I will eventually get a new phone with a better camera. if this story touched you at all please send me money so I can buy this new phone.

maybe this review isn't actually going to be short lol. here's the review

chip ft. my mom. she is eating the plain salted flavor which tasted like normal chips
  • smell: a strong top note of vinegar with a subtle background of bbq scent?
  • texture: this was a good textured chip. thick like a kettle chip should be but not too thick, a good crunch, not too greasy
  • cost: ~$3? idk my mom bought them for me (thanks mom!!!). keep in mind I was at an airport so I'd imagine they are usually cheaper in stores
  • 🍥🍥/5 fishcakes
  • final thoughts: ok I feel kind of controversial with this 2 fishcake rating because I've googled around and it seems like zapp's chips are very loved in the louisiana/southern US area. I was in detroit so maybe that gives me the right to not feel as bad but I didn't like these chips. they taste like a spicy sweet salt n vinegar chip? like a mix of barbeque and pickles and salt n vinegar. I don't like it. it wasn't too spicy as I could finish the bag with ease. I don't know? this was an enjoyable snack because of how mysterious the experience was but I would not buy these chips again. I'm curious about the voodoo flavor sans heat -- maybe I'd prefer those. also to be honest I did finish the entire bag so something to consider.